30% Off Your Federal Taxes

Where To File Tax Returns

I suppose it would be easier to file our tax returns if we knew where to send them. As more people move away from paper forms and move online the IRS is keeping up with the times.

For example, there is a tremendous amount of information on the IRS website. There are links to various categories and make it very easy to get almost every question answered. This includes where to file your tax returns.

For example, there is one link for individual taxpayers that shows where to send your tax returns depending on the state you live in. You can find this here: http://www.irs.gov/file/content/0,,id=105693,00.html

You will find a map of the United States and you can just click on your state to determine where to send your return. This will vary depending on the type of return that you are filing so you want to pay attention to that before you mail it off.

There's also another website address that shows you where to mail your tax return based on the form number. The IRS does a good job of keeping this information current.

If you have already filed your tax return and now it's time to send a payment you were not able to send at the time you filed there is a specific website address for that. They refer to this as a non-return form and it is more for applications and payments.

The IRS has put together a very comprehensive website that includes everything from where to file tax returns to frequently asked questions and answers on the help page.

Your W-2 form, a statement of the wages you earned for the year, will be given to you from your employer. This should happen before January 31st. If you don't receive your W-2(s) by then, contact the employer(s). If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you need to gather the W-2 forms from both of your employers and use them together.

Taxes must be filed by the infamous time and date of midnight on April 15 on each year. If you have a special reason for not being able to file by that date and time, you can request an extension from the IRS. The taxpayer uses the Form 4868 to request an extension. If granted, that taxpayer must then file within four months (i.e. by August 15th). Any tax payments due by April 15th will be due then, along with interest, assuming the extension is granted. This extensions does not extend the time you have to actually pay your taxes.